Sunday, August 9, 2009

"Yucky Soup"

In case any of you are looking for something to occupy your children for a couple hours, I'm happy to tell you that there are definitely electronics free, outdoor activities that are still super exciting if you are about 5 years old. My daughter had a couple friends over the other day and they decided to make "yucky soup". They found a bucket and just started adding some grass and sticks and leaves from around our deck. They were really getting into this. Then they each got their own little stirring stick to stir the soup. Then they decided that it needed some more "ingredients". So they went exploring in the yard. They found dead flowers, dirt, berries off of a tree in our yard, some dead bugs, some live flowers, and more random berries. They had so much fun just gathering their ingredients. One girl was the head chef and she would stir for the other two and then tell them it wasn't ready yet, it needed more ingredients. They even ventured into our neighbors yard where they were out tending their garden (this couple is in their eighties and they love, love my kids) and they threw them all the rotten tomatoes to add to their "soup". This whole process took a couple hours. Here is the soup about halfway through completion.


The little chefs tending their soup.

After making the soup they had even more fun pretending to eat it. One of my daughters friends really did drink it. She really enjoyed the reaction she was getting from the rest of us.
Here is my daughter eating a leaf. They tasted a lot of weird stuff that day, including sticks. Is that normal?
Here's my son just being cute.

My little chef.


Does it really get any better than this?

2 comments:

  1. That's hilarious! I happend on your blog by accident and I thought I'd leave a comment.

    Cute kids. =]]

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...they are sooo cute! That is an awesome story. Hugs, Jacob and Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...