Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Beach is my Therapy

If perfection is my enemy, then the beach is my friend.  It really is like a week of therapy for me every year.  I think I am the real me at the beach.  Not the stressed out, depressed, frazzled, grumpy version of me that sometimes (okay, often) makes an appearance around here.  There's something about having a week with no schedule, no worries, minimal cooking and cleaning that does wonders to restore a person's spirit.  Everyone should be required to take a beach vacation every year.  There would be a lot more happy people around.  I won't talk about the let down that happens when you arrive home to a week of clouds and rain, ugh!

I love how while we were on vacation we just spent almost every waking moment with each other and we didn't fight or get sick of each other!  It's some kind of miracle that happens for that one week a year.  If we tried to do this while at home we'd probably kill each other.  But vacation is magical.  Is there a way to capture that vacation magic at home?  If so, please let me know how!

I feel like I have a million pictures to share, so sorry for the picture overload, but I just can't choose which ones I like best.  I love them all!  They represent so many sweet little moments that I want to remember.

 Guess I'll just start with our new family portrait.  Thanks to my mom for patiently trying to take photos of the four of us on two different occasions.

A photo of the inside of our beautiful condo!  We will definitely be booking it again for next year.  Wow, the attention to detail was amazing.  I loved waking up in this room for a week.  Perfectly done.
A few more photos of the inside of our condo.  The owners did such a great job decorating it.  It's exactly how I would do it if I had my own condo...but now I can just rent their's!


 Okay, back outside to the beach.  This picture cracks me up!  How did my husband know he was making that face?!  Guess it's because that's what my son does when he is freaking out about something.  I'm guessing it was the water touching his toes.  He wasn't a huge fan of the water this year.  He doesn't like his toes to be wet or sandy, go figure.  Tough luck when you're at the beach.  He was also afraid to walk over the line of sea shells that collect from the tide so we had to carry him or hold his hand a lot.  But he was way better than last year. 

She loved being chased on the beach by her dad.  It was so fun to watch.

 Digging a hole, she was pretty into that this year.  She wasn't so good with the sand castles and refused to let me help her build one.  Miss independent, I have no idea where she gets that. ; )
 A couple days later she got a little more ambitious.
 She was very proud of that giant hole.

My son had fun making tracks in the sand with his monster truck.  Love this pic of my boys hanging out together. 

I made him a sand castle with a bridge and he drove his matchbox cars all around it.  He doesn't look too thrilled about it here though.  Must've had sand on his hands.  Hope he gets over his sand aversion for next year!

Some pics from when we were trying to get our family photo at sunset.  I love his hair and his sandy toes in this pic.  And his sweet smile.  I love that kid.
 He so stinkin cute I can't stand it!  Are you sick of me admiring the cuteness of my kids yet?  Sorry, I can't help myself.  If you are mother, then I know you understand.

Every once in a while I get a picture of my daughter where she looks mature beyond her 6 years.  This is one of them.  Makes me wonder what she'll be like when she grows up.  Hopefully she can still pull off the grace and self assuredness I see in this photo.

I already feel more relaxed just looking through all of our photos deciding which ones to pick.  What an amazing week we had.  Just wish we could do it more than once a year.  I have a few more pics that I want to share, but I think I'll do a separate post about them since this is already ridiculously long.  Check back soon!

6 comments:

  1. That photo of your husband making the same face as your son is making me crack up! Looks like you had a fantastic time. I agree whole heartedly with the sentiment about being on the beach. I LOVE IT! Too bad Brett is kinda so-so about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to just MAKE him go. After a few years he will come around. Jimmy was not into the relaxing, doing nothing kind of vacations at first since that's not the kind of vacations his family took growing up, but now he's come around to my way of vacationing and he totally appreciates it! He even commented on it this week, that it was really relaxing and now that the kids are older we can get out and do more fun stuff. A couple more years and we can add go-carts to our vacation list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawna, Thank you for sharing your photo's with me,they are beautiful. I am so glad your family had such a wonderful time at the beach. This is what it is all about (making memories) they last forever...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures....where was this beautiful condo? We are always looking for a great beach spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was in Panama City Beach. We found it on vrbo.com which is a great place to look for vacation homes to rent directly from the owner. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...