Monday, August 16, 2010

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

Last week we took the kids to their first baseball game.  I don't know why we waited so long, but I'm glad we did because they were old enough to really enjoy it.  My husband and I used to go to the ballgame all the time because the companies we both worked for had season tickets and it seemed we were always getting free tickets.  So now the ballpark just brings back good memories for me.  It wasn't quite the same vibe with the kids there and I really didn't get to watch the actual game hardly at all, but it was still fun.  It so fun to watch them experience the "firsts" in life and relive them.

We went to the game on possibly the hottest day of the summer.  And we were in the nosebleed seats which were apparently blocking all breezes that we might get so we were all super sweaty.  And did I ever mention that my son has a peanut allergy?  Well, it did cross my mind when I was getting stuff ready for the game that there would be peanuts there so I packed his epi-pen in my purse.  I try not to be overly cautious about the whole peanut thing...he's only eaten peanuts once and his reaction wasn't life threatening, just extremely unpleasant, but his doctor has cautioned us that each time he is exposed his reaction will get worse.  Normally, I don't think too much about it, he's at an age where I still have control over what he eats, but wow, being at a baseball game surrounded by peanuts was eye opening.  You know that scene in The Little Mermaid where Sebastian (the crab) winds up in the kitchen and he sees seafood all around him and he shrieks a little each time and then passes out?  Well, it was kinda like that.  We were surrounded on all sides by peanut eaters who were tossing their peanuts shells all casually onto the ground.  Some even landed on my son's shirt...cue my hyperventalating here.  I've never noticed before either that a ballpark just has a peanutty smell to it.  It was everywhere.  Just a little stressful for me and my husband...understatement.  He did okay though.  It was hot and he was itchy, which I couldn't figure out if it was from the peanuts or the sweat dripping down him.  I took him for a walk to get away from the peanuts and cool down and then there was a bench clearing brawl.  We saw a little bit of it, but missed most.  Oh well.  He did end up getting hives, but hey, I can live with that.  I just hope that we can continue to go to the ballpark in the future.  I'm thinking some box seats sound great.  Here's some pictures of our night!

On the way into the park.  Oh and we totally had to lie to get our son in because my brother bought the tickets for us and he thought it was 3 and under free, but I guess it was 2 and under free and the game was pretty much sold out so we didn't want to go buy some random ticket and pay who knows how much for it.  Yeah, that was a little tricky explaining that one to the kids...guess my mom of the year award is out of the question now.

Just outside the gate.


Right after we found our seats.  They were very serious because we were so high up I think they were afraid we were going to plummet to our deaths.  Note the red cheeks and sweaty hair already.


He hates loud noises and always covers his ears.  He got used to the noise though.  He asked to take off his shirt he was so hot!

She hates loud noises too.

The boys were having a good time despite the heat and the peanuts!

And once she got her cotton candy she was happy.  She had her eye on every cotton candy vendor in the park.  She couldn't wait for them to get to us.

I just included this picture because I love the expression on his face.  He and my husband moved to an open spot below us to get away from some of the peanuts.

I just figured out how to make this fun new collage!

The kids had such a great time despite all the stress and anxiety I was experiencing.  We went down to the club level after a few innings and they played on the playground.  They also did some running drill thing where my daughter did awesome and my son pooped out right before the end of the track and I had to go get him.  Overall, it was great game.  We didn't even make it to the seventh inning stretch.  And our team lost.  But we had a good time and it isn't really about winning and losing anyway...just don't tell my husband I said that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...