Thursday, January 30, 2014

Double Digits

My girl is officially 10 now!  I told her she's making me feel old.  She was super excited to be turning double digits.  She did have a few moments of mourning for leaving behind age nine though.  She thought it was sad that she will never again be a single digit and I think she was feeling like she had to grow up overnight now that she's 10.  We've had a few talks and she feels better knowing that 10 really isn't all that different from 9 and we certainly aren't in a hurry for her to grow up.  She breathed a sigh of relief to hear it since she clearly is still enjoying being a kid.  She is so sweet with all her worries and thoughtfulness.  I'm happy to still have her as my little girl for a while longer.  We had a very full day of celebrating.  She chose to go see The Lego Movie as a family instead of having a party with friends (I was excited for that choice because I really want to see that movie and then I didn't have to worry about a party!).  Since the movie isn't actually out yet, we filled our day with other things and are planning to see the movie when it comes out.  We started with a special pancake breakfast, followed by the normal Saturday morning golf lessons that both our kids take.  After golf we headed to Steak and Shake for lunch (her brother's choice for his birthday too) where she got a huge shake for free!  We came home and she opened all her gifts.  Thanks to everyone who took the time to ship gifts to her!  She loved getting her own packages.  After that we went to Target where she spent some birthday money she had gotten and we ended the day with pizza, cake and a movie.  Whew!  It was a pretty full day.  

My sweet 10 year old!

Excited.  A little...

Still excited...

There...a normal face.  She's glad she can still show how old she is with her fingers.  She was pondering how she would show it when she's 11.

Opening her gifts.  I like her Steak and Shake hat. :)

She was so excited about everything that day!


Having a little fun with the packing peanuts.

One of the things on her birthday list was a 'giant bag of candy'.  Her Aunt sent her this as part of her gift and I love her face in each of these pics.  She was so happy!

At Christmas her brother got a giant Beanie Ball and she wanted one too and Grandmama surprised her with this guy.  She loves it.

The giant guys were promptly introduced and began their silly antics.

She helped do every part of her cake this year.  She designed it herself too with a candy theme (of course!).  It turned out really nice and the Nerds where really yummy mixed in the icing.


I just love her cute expression in this picture.  That is her newest stuffed animal that she got at Target that day.  She named him Ruff Buddie.  Spelled with an ie (I told her I thought it should be spelled with a y and she said, "Well, that's just how he spells it.")

Just another cute picture. :)

I've been trying to do this little survey with my kids each year on their birthday.  I think this is the first time I've done it with her...I can't find any links to her old answers.  :(  I did find this old survey I did with her on Facebook from when she was 5.  It's pretty cute.  Here is this year's survey.

~~Age 10~~
~How old are you? 10
~How does being 10 make you feel? pretty good
~What do you want to learn this year? how to be really good at drawing dogs
~What was the best thing about being 9? that I was older than 8
~What did you do today?  went to Steak and Shake for lunch and had a giant shake and we also ate cake and I opened presents
~What is your favorite color? hot pink
~What is your favorite food? pepperoni pizza
~Who is your favorite person? I guess you (I like that answer) :)
~What grade are you in? 4th
~What is your favorite thing to do at school?  Art
~What is your favorite game to play? I like playing Chess
~What do you like to do with Daddy?  I like, um, uh, playing football with him.
~What do you like to do with Mommy? Having girl time where we make bracelets (the rubber band loom kind) and watch tv.
~What do you like to do with your brother?  I like, hmm, I'm thinking...playing outside with him and playing tag.

~What’s your favorite thing to do with the whole family? have movie night
~What’s your favorite store? Give me a minute to think about that...I'm trying to think of a store that sells candy...can you help me out with this? (I suggested Target or Toys R Us) I like Target.
~What’s your favorite place to eat? I like so many restaurants. I like Olive Garden, I like Wendy's, I like McDonalds, I like Jets Pizza. (No favorite?) No not really.
~What’s your favorite book? Anne of Green Gables. (Really?) Why? Should I not like that book? (No, it's one of my favorites too and I didn't know you liked it that much.) Oh, well, I really like that book. Well, I don't know, I like a lot of books. (Like what?) Smells like Treasure, The Misadventures of the Magician's Dog, and a bunch of other books.
~What’s your favorite song? Uh...this is hard. I like the "I Love Candy" (she sang it) song. I don't really have a favorite, but I like that song.
~What’s your favorite thing about God? That He is so cool and powerful, because if He wasn't then He couldn't have made me and I wouldn't be alive and that would be sad.
~What do you want to be when you grow up? Something that has to do with working with dogs, but I'm not exactly sure yet. (like a vet?) Sort of. (I thought you hate blood and stuff.) I do. I just want to work with dogs, but not be a veterinarian.


I love my sweet girl so much. I still can't believe she's 10! It's flying by and I keep thinking it's only going to be 6 more years until she can drive! Whoa...that just blows my mind how fast she's growing up. I am so grateful for the time I have with her due to homeschooling because it will seriously be over before I know it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...